Written by Nairn County FC January 18th 2017

TWO goals midway through the second half cost Nairn County under-20s as at Lossiemouth as the hosts took advantage of the visitors wastefulness in front of goal at the start of the second period. Poor finishing saw Stuart Finnie's side pass up four good chances after the break with the match tied at 1-1 after an even opening 45 minutes. And that was to prove costly with Lossiemouth striking twice to secure the points. The hosts made the ideal start with an opener on two minutes. After a series of corners, Ross Campbell sneaked in from the left and saw his effort beaten away by Ryan Macleod. But Jamie Lees was on hand to tuck home the rebound. Macleod had to look lively to deny Ross Campbell after a quick Lossiemouth free kick before Nairn equaliser on nine minutes. Debutant Ian Payne's free kick from the right dropped for Reece Barton after Calum Riddell challenged for it in the air and the County skipper lashed home from just inside the box. Trialist then raced in on goal two minutes later after Nairn unlocked the Lossiemouth defence but the ball bobbled as he pulled the trigger and his shot looped over the crossbar. A great move by Nairn on 19 minutes saw Payne's cross from the right laid off by Riddell for Barton but this time he pulled his low shot across goal and wide from 20 yards. Lossiemouth fielded one-time Highland League Player of the Year, Shawn Scott and he ran on to a Ryan Sewell feed on 22 minutes but he could only stroke his first time shot across goal and wide. Riddell headed a Matty Macleod free kick from wide on the left inches past the near post 11 minutes later. Lossiemouth were first to settle again in the second half but it was Nairn who nearly went in front on 54 minutes. Macleod did well to flick a high ball into the stride of Jason Morganti on the left and he cut inside but under pressure from a defender, he could only roll his shot past the near post. There was another let-off for Lossiemouth three minutes later. Riddell flicked the ball on for trialist, who raced forward down the right and squared it inside back to Riddell. He helped it on for Macleod at the far post but the young forward blazed over the bar from a few yards out at the far post. Macleod was denied again on 61 minutes after he picked out Morganti's lung-busting run down the left. The wide man cut it back for the attacker but this time his goal-bound blast was blocked by Lossiemouth defender Scott Campbell. The ball then dropped to trialist a few yards out two minutes later but his effort was blocked by the legs of goalkeeper Cameron Farquhar. It was Lossiemouth who went back in front as they stung Nairn with two goals in as many minutes. The first saw a free kick from Andrew Stewart on the left find its way to Scott Campbell at the far post and he rammed home on 65 minutes. Two minutes later, Macleod punched a delivery into the box from the right that was headed back into the danger area for Kevin Flett to nod home. Lossiemouth – Farquhar, Kennedy, Elliott, Tennion, Flett, S. Campbell (yellow 88), Stewart, Sewell, Scott (y 79), R. Campbell, Lees (Pashley 73). Subs unused: Cowie, Taylor, Pashley, Allen, Thomas. Nairn County – R. Macleod, Tweedie (yellow 79) (Alexander 85), Maclean, Fraser, Ednie, Barton, Payne, Morganti (Grant 65), M. Macleod, Riddell, Trialist (Gordon 73). Subs unused: MacBean, Wilkie (gk). Referee – Darren Munro. Graeme Macleod

Other News

Nairn County Fans in Davy Johnston Enclosure
April 16th 2024

Have Your Say On Nairn County

Station Park Nairn County
April 14th 2024

Nairn County invite manager applications for vacant role

April 13th 2024

Ross Tokely's final match

April 10th 2024

Steven Mackay to stand down as manager

April 7th 2024

Stephen Grant

April 2nd 2024

Match Worn TeamHamish Third Shirts Available to Buy

February 25th 2024

Sporting Dinner 2024 Auction List

February 23rd 2024

Matthew Strachan returns for a second loan spell