Chairman's Report

Chairman's Centenary Message

A Hundred Glorious Years

On behalf of the Club Executive, Main Sponsor and Management, in introducing you to this our forthcoming 2014/15 season to celebrate our 100 years in the Scottish Highland Football league which now holds the reputation of being the most enjoyable and competitive League in Scotland, let us celebrate and savour Nairn County's role and place within the proud history of the Highland League.

Nairn County, on taking ownership of Station Park, looked forward to the start of the first Highland League season 1914/15 the date for which was set as 31 July. As history records, World events in the shape of World War 1 intervened thus postponing all football league activities until the 1919/20 season. It is noteworthy to record that Station Park being in immediate proximity to the railway station played its part in both World Wars.

With World War 1 behind us the Club began its long and exciting journey competing in both League, Scottish and numerous Highland Cup competitions with considerable success which can be observed from the list of Club Honours over the last 100 years.

A significant milestone in the Club's progress to maturity was the commissioning and building of the new stand, deemed in its day to be at the cutting edge of comfort and layout, setting a standard to be emulated by other Clubs throughout Scotland. The stand opened in 1937 with its opening being commemorated by a visit from Celtic Football Club in front of over 4,000 spectators.

Other memorable Club lifetime milestones noteworthy of highlighting, both on the field of play, were in the 1963/64 season when Davy Johnston scored 73 goals in one season, and the second occurring on 22 February 2014 with Conor Gethins scoring 101 goals in 101 competitive matches for Nairn County.

To secure the future of senior football in Nairn the Club in 2012 attained SFA Club Licence status for Station Park. This has involved the Club embarking on a year on year programme of major refurbishment and improvements to the aging infrastructure at a capital expenditure to date of 160,000 with further works planned for 2015/16 of a conservative 120,000.

The Club simply could not have achieved this level of capital investment without the help of a Private Benefactor, the Scottish Football Partnership, Nairn County Supporters Group, Highland Council Nairn Area Discretionary Fund and Professional Advisors whose advice has proved invaluable to the Club.

The Club now makes history and in this snapshot of time I must acknowledge the contribution of Narden, Main Sponsors since 1997, together with our other principal sponsors being Alpha Plus Windows & Conservatories, WSP Development & Transportation Consultants, Nixon Hire, The Classroom Bistro Bar, the Playhouse Sports Bar, Ashers Bakery, Greens Nursery, D W Fitness Club, Nairn County Supporters Group, the local business community and all the unpaid volunteers whose dedication year on year ensures the continuing well-being of the Club.

It is exciting to ponder what the next 100 years hold for Nairn County.

Peter Mackintosh

Chairman