Forres U20s 1 Nairn County U20s 4 - Report

10th April, 2017 •
Posted In: Youth News
Written By: Graeme Macleod •
Comments: 0 Comments

A DOMINANT display at Mosset Park was enough for Nairn County under-20s to end their North of Scotland League season on a high as they saw off Forres Mechanics in this delayed derby match.

The original match referee failed to attend and a stand-in was eventually able to take his place with kick-off delayed by almost an hour.

The visitors put numerous tempting deliveries into the box but only had a one-goal lead to show for it before the Can Cans levelled but from the moment Nairn went back in front after the restart, they never looked in any real danger.

County threatened with five minutes on the clock with Dylan Mackenzie running on to Aaron Fraser's long pass forward but the striker took a touch too many, allowing Forres goalkeeper Euan Storrier to advance from his line and make a block.

An inviting low cross from deep on the left by Jack Maclean found the run of Matty Macleod at the far post on 12 minutes but his shot was diverted over the crossbar by Storrier.

The visitors' pressure paid off with the opener on 34 minutes although the goal itself was in fortuitous circumstances. Aaron Fraser tried his luck with a raking low shot from 22 yards which Storrier appeared to have covered until it took a deflection off a Forres defender to send the goalkeeper the wrong way.

Forres took just five minutes to draw level though. A low cross from the right was only cleared as far as Matt Kennedy and he drilled beyond the grounded Fraser Wilkie.

Brandon Hutchison almost grabbed his side's second just before half time when he met a deep cross from the right with a towering back post header but the ball dropped across goal and was cleared by Craig Munro.

Nairn should have restored their lead four minutes after half time. Dylan Mackenzie was free to meet Matty Macleod's cross from the left with a header six yards out but he directed the ball past the near post.

The home side countered with Damian Niedzwiedz delivering a deep cross from out on the right that Kennedy met with a header that flew just off target.

Nairn retook the lead 13 minutes after the break and it was all about the persistence of Jack Maclean (not to be confused with the first team player of the same name). Matty Macleod's low cross from the right went all the way through to the 16-year-old and he found a way past two defenders before poking the ball past Storrier from close range.

Matty Macleod took an extra touch as he controlled Craig Munro's free kick into the box on 66 minutes and that meant Storrier was right on him when he shot for goal with the stopper making a block.

County made sure of the points with two late goals. The first of which came on 75 minutes with Ryan MacBean on hand to knock the ball home after Matty Macleod had lifted it over the goalkeeper with his effort coming back off the post.

Then, four minutes later, Macleod's corner kick was superbly hooked home by top scorer Craig Munro on the volley at the far post to round off the victory.

Ian Payne probably should have made it five on 86 minutes after running on to a MacBean pass but he side-footed over the bar from 10 yards.

Forres Mechanics - Storrier, McKenzie, Douglas, Bell, Duthie (McCartney 53), R. Paterson, Niedzwiedz, O. Paterson, Wilson (Brudenell 60), Hutchison, Kennedy. Subs unused: Brown, MacIver.

Nairn County - Wilkie, Wheeler, J. Maclean, Munro, Ednie (Tweedie 46), C. Maclean, Payne, Fraser (Grant 78), MacBean, M. Macleod, D. Mackenzie (Gordon 69). Subs unused: Millard, Cuthbert.

Referee - Ben Dempster.


No Comments.

Post a Comment

CAPTCHA Image Reload Image