Nairn County 2 Huntly 1 - Report

1st April, 2017 •
Posted In: Match Reports
Written By: Graeme Macleod •
Comments: 0 Comments

IT WAS double trouble for Huntly as they were put to the sword for the second time this season by Nairn County with goals in either half from Gary Kerr and Wayne Mackintosh ensuring that the hosts finished their home league programme for the season on a high.

County made the ideal start with the opener on four minutes. Jordan Macrae controlled the ball 30 yards out on the left touchline before turning inside and clipping an in-swinging ball for Gary Kerr in the box. The centre forward took it on his chest before lifting the bouncing ball over the advancing John Farquhar in the Huntly goal.

Huntly then settled down and began to look threatening but on 17 minutes, a Nairn corner from the left was cleared to Wayne Mackintosh at the edge of the box and he fizzed a left-footed volley just past the near post.

Adam Naismith replaced the stricken Gary McGowan on 23 minutes for Huntly and he almost made an instant impact a minute later. The midfielder caught a dropping ball sweet on the volley from 22 yards but it was superbly beaten away by the diving Dylan Maclean.

Then, the visitors had a golden opportunity to draw level on 28 minutes. Stephen Mackenzie was harshly penalised for holding Sean Webb at a corner and referee Thomas Shaw pointed to the spot. Robbie Duncanson stepped up but he put his effort from 12 yards high and wide of Maclean's goal.

County then broke up the other end but amidst a scramble in the box, Kenny McKenzie's shot hit the grounded Jordan Macrae just a few yards out from goal with the goalkeeper beaten.

It was the visitors who grabbed an early goal in the second half though. Blair Johnston's inviting cross from the left was crashed home by the head of Glenn Murison at the far post.

County were back in front four minutes later. Gregg Main's floated free kick towards the far post from slightly left of centre 40 yards out was flicked beyond Farquhar by the deftest of touches from the head (or shoulder) of Wayne Mackintosh.

A goal line clearance by Kenny McKenzie kept Nairn in front on 66 minutes as he was in the right place at the right time to hack away Sean Webb's towering header. Nairn broke up the other end but Gregg Main's wicked low ball across goal from the right just missed the out-stretched legs of Kerr and Mackintosh.

Ross Naismith was introduced on 72 minutes and had the chance to increase Nairn's lead a few minutes later when he controlled Mackintosh's pass on his chest in the box but he swivelled and volleyed across goal and wide.

Farquhar was called into action again on 86 minutes as he threw himself to his right to beat away Gregg Main's bending free kick from 25 yards.

Nairn County - D. Maclean (yellow 41), S. Mackenzie, C. Maclean, Morganti, Glenn Main (y 18), Mackintosh (y 15), Macrae (Naismith 72), K. McKenzie, Kerr (y 45+9), Gregg Main (y 45+4), J. Maclean. Subs unused: Riddell, Ednie, P. Macleod, D. Mackenzie, Mackay, R. Macleod (gk).

Huntly - Farquhar, Donald, Johnston (yellow 45+5), Still (Cruickshank 37), Webb, Clark (y 84), Murison, Wyness, McGowan (Naismith 23), Duncanson (Thoirs 64) (y 67), Roddie. Subs unused: Morrice, Hodge, Ritchie, Reid (gk).

Referee - Thomas Shaw.

Pictures by Donald Matheson.


No Comments.

Post a Comment

CAPTCHA Image Reload Image