Nairn County 1 Turriff United 2 - Report

20th February, 2016 •
Posted In: Match Reports
Written By: Graeme Macleod •
Comments: 0 Comments

ROBBIE Allan's strike 10 minutes from the end gave Turriff United all three points at Station Park in a game that could have gone either way, writes Graeme Macleod.

Leszek Nowosielski fired wide at the near post off a cross from the right in the second minute just after Sam Urquhart had won a fruitless corner at the other end.

Robbie Duncanson pulled down a Conor Gethins cross from the right and found Urquhart, who then teed up the stand-in skipper on 10 minutes but his drive was held.

A great spin by Alan Pollock after receiving a Paul Macleod pass on 11 minutes took him away from his marker but his 20-yard effort was tipped over the crossbar by Main.

Pollock went close again on 14 minutes but this time his 25-yard shot deflected just past the right hand post with Main beaten.

It was the same story again two minutes later as Pollock cut in from the left on to his preferred foot but his low effort from the corner of the box was clutched by the diving Main.

Duncanson nicked the ball off the defender wide on the left on 21 minutes but his rising effort from an acute angle just inside the box was held by the 'keeper.

Craig MacAskill's cross from the right found Allen MacKenzie at the far post for Turriff on 24 minutes but his header down required a touch to turn it goalwards and none were forthcoming.

Gethins laid the ball off to Duncanson at the edge of the penalty area but his thunderous drive on 28 minutes was beaten away by the well-positioned Main.

A Macleod goal line cleared kept out a Cameron Bowden header after Calum Antell was impeded when attempting to clutch a corner from the right on 30 minutes.

Macleod was involved at the other end nine minutes later but his 30-yard thunderbolt was tipped over the crossbar by the ever-busy Main.

Some tricky play from Urquhart out on the left opened up a shooting opportunity for the Nairn wide man but his powerful effort flashed across goal and past the post on 41 minutes.

A Turriff corner from the right on the stroke of half time was only cleared as far as Nowosielski but his left-footed volley from 18 yards was wide of the target.

Nairn made the worst possible start to the second half as Turriff United took the lead from the penalty spot. David Booth brushed past Sean Webb in the box before hitting the deck and referee David Watt blew for an infringement. Lewis Davidson stepped up and fired straight down the middle from 12 yards past the diving Antell.

A low Sam Urquhart cross from the left on 55 minutes rolled across the face of goal and was cleared from the goal line with Pollock waiting for a tap-in at the far post.

County levelled on the hour-mark. Duncanson stabbed a great through ball into the path of Conor Gethins. The striker was on the move before it even left the skipper's boot to latch on to the pass and round Main to stroke home the leveller.

Five minutes later, a great sprawling save by Calum Antell kept Nairn level. Craig MacAskill's low cross from the right found the on-running Booth but from eight yards out, the striker's first time shot was blocked by County's number one.

A low Pollock drive on 71 minutes was tipped away by Main before Turriff went up the other end and only a slight touch by Antell on Booth's trundling shot diverted the ball inches past the post.

The visitors re-established their lead with 10 minutes remaining. Robbie Allan was afforded the space to lift his head on the edge of the box and he smashed the ball beyond Antell from 25 yards.

A Gregg Main delivery into the box in injury time was knocked down by Sean Webb for Duncanson but his first time effort was blocked in the final action of the game.

Nairn County - Antell, Webb, P. Macleod, Pollock, Gethins, Gregg Main (yellow 67), Urquhart, Skinner, A. Naismith, C. Maclean, Duncanson. Subs unused: Morrison, Mackintosh, R. Naismith, Halsman, Glenn Main, McKenzie, D. Maclean (gk).

Turriff United - Main, Davidson, Herd, MacKenzie, Bowden, MacAskill (Smith 77), McKenna, Chalmers, Booth, Newosielski (Wozniak 77), Allan. Subs unused: Strachan, Mair, Bruce, Stuart (gk).

Referee - David Watt.

Pictures by Donald Matheson


No Comments.

Post a Comment

CAPTCHA Image Reload Image