Nairn County 1 Buckie Thistle 2 - Report

29th August, 2015 •
Posted In: Match Reports
Written By: Graeme Macleod •
Comments: 0 Comments

TWO goals in the first 10 minutes of the second half saw Buckie Thistle overturn a half-time deficit to take all three points at Station Park, writes Graeme Macleod.

County boss Les Fridge named an unchanged side from the one which comfortably saw off Rothes seven days ago but Andrew Hardwick's loan move to Fort William meant there was a place on the bench for Jack Maclean.

Five minutes in, John Cameron lifted the ball inside from the right and it dropped nicely for Alan Pollock to hit first time but the midfielder’s volley from 18 yards flashed over the crossbar.

The Jags’ first sight of goal saw Shaun Wood collect a loose ball 30 yards from goal after Pollock cleared a Buckie corner but the full back’s drive flew over the crossbar on 17 minutes.

But Nairn went up the other end and immediately opened the scoring. Conor Gethins latched on to a long ball over the Buckie defence and smashed a volley off the face of the crossbar. Robbie Duncanson's follow up was blocked by sprawling Buckie goalkeeper Greg Sim but John Cameron was first on the scene to ram home the rebound.

Lewis MacKinnon picked out Paul Napier on the right and the winger did well to chest the ball down into his stride but his subsequent shot from the edge of the box was easily fielded by the alert Calum Antell.

Gregg Main’s low ball in from the right was stepped over by Conor Gethins on 39 minutes for Duncanson to step on to but his low, placed effort was held by Sim.

Buckie levelled the game with barely a few seconds on the clock in the second half. Jay Cheyne strolled in from the right and rounded Antell before rolling the ball into the empty net.

The visitors then went in front 10 minutes later. Chris Hegarty evaded a challenge from Kenny McKenzie and lashed a powerful drive beyond the helpless Antell from 20 yards out.

The midfielder went in search of his second of the afternoon with a curling free kick from 20 yards on the left but Antell made a smart stop.

At the other end, Pollock teed up Gethins but the striker’s curling effort was headed over for a corner by ex-Nairn defender Lewis MacKinnon on the goal line as County pushed for a leveller.

Pollock then cut inside from the right on 74 minutes but his low, left-footed drive crashed into the side netting.

County continued to press throughout the remaining 15 minutes but the Buckie defence stood strong to emerge with all three points.

Nairn County - Antell, Webb, Morrison (A. Naismith 46), Pollock, Gethins (Urquhart 74), Gregg Main, Skinner, Duncanson (Halsman 63), Glenn Main, Cameron, McKenzie. Subs unused: R. Naismith, C. Maclean, J. Maclean, D. Maclean (gk).

Buckie Thistle - Sim, Wood, Carrol, Macrae, MacKinnon, Hegarty, Napier, Cheyne (J. Fraser 72), Ross (Taylor 67), K. Fraser, Copeland (Wyness 46). Subs unused: Stewart, Scott, Strong (gk).

Referee - Douglas Ross.

Pictures courtesy of Donald Matheson


No Comments.

Post a Comment

CAPTCHA Image Reload Image