Nairn County 2 Keith 1 - Reaction

6th February, 2016 •
Posted In: Match Reactions
Written By: Graeme Macleod •
Comments: 0 Comments

LES Fridge tipped his hat to two impressive finishes which saw his side edge out Keith in the Highland League (Morganti) Cup, writes Graeme Macleod.

Conor Gethins and Alan Pollock both struck in the first half with a delicate loft from the Irish striker followed by a ferocious, whipped drive from his midfield team mate.

Fridge said: "Both goals were worthy of winning any game."

"We will take that and we are through to the next round of the competition, so we are happy enough."

"We went for five weeks without a game and have then got back into it with a battling performance today with our work rate really good."

"We had three really good chances to kill the game off late on which we did not manage to take while they threw everything at us in the last couple of minutes. We managed to see it out and are through to the next round, so as I said, I have to be happy enough."

Gethins opened the scoring on 25 minutes only for Keith to go up the other end and level within a minute.

Fridge added: "I am really disappointed at losing the goal from the set piece. It was just a ball put into the box which we should have dealt with and cleared our lines a lot better."

"It was more the manner of the goal rather than the timing of it which was disappointing. The ball was not whipped in at all and was just put into the mixer but we failed to deal with it. We had two chances to clear it before it ended up in the net, so from that point of view, it is disappointing."

It was County's first outing since winning away at league leaders, Brora Rangers five weeks ago.

Fridge said: "After about 70 minutes, you could see the fitness levels kicking in. We have still managed to work away quite hard over the last couple of weeks despite the weather. But you could see there were some heavy legs out there with 20 minutes to go because match fitness is completely different to what you can do in training."

"We dealt with that though and stepped on when we got a second wind to finish the game quite strongly, creating a couple of great chances. If we had buried one of them, it would have made life a lot easier for us."

Nairn will now visit Clachnacuddin in the quarter finals of the competition in three weeks time.

Fridge stated: "We would have been looking for a home tie and it does not matter who you get at this stage of the competition, it is not going to be easy. Just now, we are just happy to through and into the quarter finals of the cup."


No Comments.

Post a Comment

CAPTCHA Image Reload Image