Nairn County 1 Huntly 0 - Report

4th November, 2015 •
Posted In: Match Previews
Written By: Graeme Macleod •
Comments: 0 Comments

CONOR Gethins scored the only goal of the game as Nairn County returned to winning ways against Huntly at Station Park. But it was Alan Pollock who stole the show with the midfielder at the heart of the majority of the hosts' positive play in the final third, writes Graeme Macleod.

There were three changes to the County starting eleven with Wayne Mackintosh missing out through injury, Paul Macleod suspended and Sean Webb dropping down to the bench. Andrew Skinner came back in for a start with Tony Wallace and Callum Maclean also featuring in the eleven.

Nairn made a positive start with Pollock surging down the left wing before picking out Tony Wallace at the front post but his six-yard shot was parried by Andrew Pennycook in the Huntly goal.

Pollock had a go himself on 12 minutes after being fed by Robbie Duncanson following some impressive skill on the by-line by the stand-in skipper but the County midfielder's angled drive was beaten away by Pennycook at his near post.

Pollock was involved again as Nairn opened the scoring on 23 minutes. The midfielder drove along the 18-yard line from the left and reversed a pass into the path of the unmarked Conor Gethins, who was free to clip the ball over the advancing Pennycook.

Pollock then saw a volley at the far post blocked on the line four minutes later after he connected with a Gethins cross in from the right.

A David Booth flick on presented Adam McNamee with a sight of goal 10 minutes before the break in Huntly's first chance of the game but the midfielder fired his rising effort straight at Calum Antell, who gratefully tipped the ball over the crossbar.

Robbie Duncanson's low drive from the edge of the box three minutes after the turnaround was kept out by a diving save from Pennycook.

Wallace then took the ball down and fed Pollock on the left on 58 minutes. The midfielder came inside and saw his low shot from 12 yards go across goal and roll just past the post.

Pollock was again denied by Pennycook before Wallace also fired straight at the goalkeeper within the next three minutes.

Wallace then played a neat pass into the stride on the on-rushing Sam Urquhart on 63 minutes but his powerful effort was beaten away by Pennycook as Nairn's pressure continued to build.

Pennycook again came to Huntly's rescue as he kept out Wallace's first time effort after the attacker had been played in by Duncanson on 69 minutes.

Antell was called into action to keep out Aaron Scoular's cool, side-footed effort from 20 yards as the 'keeper dived to his left to save the shot before reacting quickly enough to block Dean Donaldson's follow up as Huntly launched an ultimately fruitless search for a late equaliser.

Nairn County - Antell, Pollock, Gethins, Gregg Main, Urquhart, Skinner, A. Naismith, C. Maclean, Duncanson, Glenn Main, Wallace (Cameron 72). Subs unused: Webb, Halsman, McKenzie, Macrae, M. Macleod, D. Maclean (gk).

Huntly - Pennycook, Allan, Clark, Thoirs, Lawson, Wood, A. McNamee, G. McNamee (Ingram 66), Booth, Donaldson (Murison 72), Scoular. Subs: Croll, Davidson, Mitchell, Hobday (gk).

Referee - Craig Wilson.

Pictures by Donald Matheson


No Comments.

Post a Comment

CAPTCHA Image Reload Image